Application-oriented research is of high importance at the Faculty of Textile and Clothing Technology. It is an important driver of an intensive collaboration with the industry as well as of high quality education, especially in the Master degree programs.
As diverse as the offer of teaching are also the executed research and development projects. Organizationally this ranges from huge externally-funded projects to a variety of specific innovations in companies within the scope of final theses. Concerning the content, the whole textile chain is covered ranging from the fibre to the final manufactured textile and its commercialisation on the market. According to the university's mission statement "Overcoming boundaries" the faculty applies its broadly established competences in order to create new developments, even at the particularly interesting interfaces in between disciplines.
Fields of research
Some examples of fields of research are listed.
- New innovative textile structures are developed in order to realise an increased protective function with the help of three-dimensionally formed fabrics. Three-dimensional knittings and knitted fabrics are integrated in learning supportive clothing.
- Nano-technological finishings support fabrics that have incredible functionalities. Luminous elements and coatings provide astonishing functions and aesthetics to the fabrics.
- Made-to-measure clothing follows the increasing trend of individualisation in the challenging field of women's outerwear. RFID technology revolutionises the logistics of clothing manufacturing.
- Computer-aided design and simulation of a product have become indispensable.
- New technologies at the point of sales and in e-business deliver the products to the customers in new ways.